This is a traditional recipe from southern Iran, from Shiraz, it can be served with chicken or meatballs, or even falafel. The special taste is given by the sweet and sour pomegranate syrup - Rob va Shireh.
- 3 cups rice
- a cup of blackeye beans (what's it called in Romanian ???)
- two links of dill
- an onion
- saffron (optional)
- throat oil
- the water
- pomegranate paste
- optional sugar
Preparation time: less than 15 minutes
RECIPE PREPARATION Loobia Polo Shirazi - Rice with dill and black beans:
1. The blackeye beans are picked, washed and boiled for 30 minutes
2. Wash the rice and if you have it, leave it to soak in cold water for half an hour. In a bowl, bring water to a boil with salt and add the rice. You can add saffron to the entire amount of rice or you can boil it in two bowls, white rice and yellow rice. Boil al dente, drain the boiled water and rinse with cold water.
3. Chop the dill and put the onion on a fine grater (or as you prefer)
3. Choose a bowl with a lid, put a few tablespoons of oil and mix the boiled beans with the boiled rice, grated onion and chopped dill
4. Put the lid on and let it boil on low heat or put it in the oven for at least 40 minutes without opening the lid.
For pomegranate syrup, Rob will Shireh
The original recipe indicates to make a syrup from water, sugar and pomegranate paste. I'm not used to the sweet taste of meat dishes and I haven't added any sugar. I put 3 tablespoons of pomegranate concentrate and a cup of water and boiled them for about 10 minutes on low heat.
Turmeric never replaces saffron, but to cheat and get an intense yellow rice, put a turmeric powder next to the saffron when you boil the rice.